Monday 20 October 2014

Blue Eyes - Soul Tip


It was about this time that the war against dance music was becoming more and more apparent as the hip hop racks were getting smaller and the house music racks getting bigger. In Warp records they were side by side and eventually it grew so much that it and more or less consumed the rap section and relegated it to below eye level as if to try and push it away completely. As if no-one liked it any more. This annoyed me greatly.
Anyway, local boy DJ Mink produced this record, 'The Law' on the flip being the stronger track for my money and I had to buy it online years later as I never saw any in my local store, probably because it didn't fit in any more and Sheffield was becoming 'Techno City' (I hate that record too. Surely it has no place on Electro 4 alongside Run-DMC, I mean come on!?). I tried to like house music but failed and I'm glad because who needs it when the UK was firing heavy artillery like this?

2 comments:

  1. Agree with you re: house... similar scenes in Spin Inn records in Manchester.
    But you can't diss one of the greatest tunes ever, man!
    Ok, I get that Run DMC & Cybotron were totally different styles... hell, even genres! But Electro 4 rocked because of both of those tracks. Sheeeeet, I even think it's my favourite. Love me an old electro banger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I can and I always will. An early techno record that no-one could pigeon hole at the time that has no place in (my) hip hop history. Terrible record, leave that off electro 4 and then you've got a classic all timer. The used to play that record every Saturday night at the club I frequented as an opener 'cos that's what the night was called so maybe that had an effect on me too. My mates loved it but like I've said before in other posts, all the lot of 'em listen to house music now or whatever the sub genres are these days. Wusses. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete